I've got two things on my mind today. First off, I really like Sonja Sotomayor. And I especially like that when discussing his selection criteria for Justice Souter's replacement, President Obama brought up empathy. Empathy is not the same thing as sympathy, compassion or emotion. Empathy is perspective. The idea that our laws have strict, specific definitions that should be considered without perspective is ridiculous. Laws mean something, but they must also be considered in context. That isn't to say they should be applied arbitrarily, or to advocate making exceptions left and right to suit a judge's whim...suggesting laws should be considered in context simply means that the courts must consider how our laws should be interpreted, and how they can make our society a better, more habitable, more functional one. How they can help Americans live their lives without impediment to their personal liberties. Empathy provides the perspective necessary to do this. Judge So...
Comments
Right now we're on day 5 at the lake- now this is bug heaven and there's just not thing one I or the Orkin man can do to stop the creatures around here. My mom uses some horse-stall spray to keep the black flies away but spiders are everywhere.
I'm on dial-up here and it took me about an hour just to load the comment page- that's worse than spiders.
Oh, wait; y'all are still talking about the ants, aren't you?
I was all a tizzy when I found them on my laptop on the coffee table. They'd crawled up the wall to where it was plugged in, across the cord, and there they were, going in and out of the keyboard. Ack!
The ants in my house laugh at the traps. Seriously, they walk right over top and head for the vast crumb selection my children are kind enough to leave them.