Post-merger transition agent and other tales

I am currently going through the excruciating process of reworking my resume (or CV as the fancy folks call it) to reflect both my UK work experience and my soon to be completed MBA. This is simultaneously one of the most affirming and demoralising things I've ever done.

I've had versions of the same resume for almost 10 years now. My resume is cool. I did it in Quark XPress years ago, adding logos and funky fonts and colors to make it interesting. If you get an online version of it, the logos are even clickable to take you to my former employers' websites. It's got nice white space and I make abundant use of the semi-colon to separate accomplishments within each job role. I even have a handy little professional profile and skill set summary at the top for the exec who's too busy to read the whole thing. It's two pages, but there's good stuff in there and I'm old enough and experienced enough that one page is not relevant anymore. I even mention my fascination with Elvis and ukuleles at the bottom...most people who've done time in the PNW toss some personality in there to help get a live interview.

But now I have to give up my funky formatting and try to sell the skills I've gained into a totally different forum. I have to figure out how to change task accomplishments into future potential statements. This is not easy.

On the upside, the last three years have really fortified my CV. In addition to the degree, I can now talk about managing post-merger transition, leading and implementing changes in a change resistant culture, process innovation and financial turn-around statistics (which nicely compliment my standard success numbers from previous roles.) But how do I say it? How do I convey what I've done in punchy bullets? Which comes first...the skill set or the evidence?

I'm getting a headache thinking about it. But I've got to get it done this week, as I have three jobs for which I need a resume ASAP, two of which I hope to interview for when I am home.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Comments

michaelg said…
Shoot me an e-mail. I've helped lots of folks with their resumes. I would be happy to take a look at what you've got, give you some advice on what catches attention and help you with some wording.
"CV as the fancy folks call it"

"Crispy Vittles?"

"Cirriculum Vertical?"

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Executive MBA 2006-07 Director's Prize