Seven Songs

I didn't get tagged, but I don't care. I'm doing it anyway. Here are seven songs currently in my obsessive-compulsive head. Links are to youtube, in case you don't know the song but want to hear it anyway. (I'm not a sophisticated enough user to just load them in as mp3s. Sorry.)

1. I'm Going To Stop Pretending That I Didn't Break Your Heart - Eels
Thanks. It's about time. And it makes me feel better, even though I've been over you for a long time now.

2. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised - Gil Scott-Heron
The revolution will not go better with Coke. The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath. The revolution will put you in the driver's seat.

3. Flathead - The Fratellis
I'm working my way up to running a solid half hour, and I'm currently sitting at about 15 minutes (which is then surrounded by 45 minutes of other torture, but the running is my focus these days). Random shuffle is either a blessing or a curse, depending upon whether it hits fast or slow...a bit of Buzzcocks, some Suburbs or a good Fat Boy Slim is magic, some Karrin Allyson or Chet Baker stops me in my tracks. So I created a special mix for running. Dead on minute 13 of my treadmill mix, this is the perfect thing to pace myself to make it to 15. (Confidential to Ten S and Bubs: the music makes me think of T, the women in the linked video make me thing of B. Scrappy Scottish lads with a retro sound and pinup girls...a heady mix, that.)

4. I Believe In A Thing Called Love - The Darkness
Also on my treadmill mix, this one comes in about minute seven. Laugh if you will. The Darkness ROCK.

5. Miss You - Etta James
Even though this is on my 40@40, I totally forgot about it. Then the other day I was making dinner and drinking some wine and feeling a bit funky, (yes, "feeling a bit funky" does happen to me now and again,) and then Etta came on the shuffle and now it is in my head always. I'm listening to it about four times a week. Sadly, there's no youtube of this one, so instead I'm linking to this, which has a similar funky feel.

6. If I Can't Change Your Mind - Sugar
Again, I'd forgotten about this song and then it popped up in the random shuffle and now I am listening to Sugar constantly. Bob Mould is brilliant.

7. Christ for President/Chocolate Jesus - Billy Bragg & Wilco/Tom Waits
All this talk of elections and bigotry and Kristians has dredged these from my mental jukebox and now I find myself humming these without thinking when I'm reading blogs and watching the news. (Or at least as much as one CAN hum Tom Waits.)

Comments

Moderator said…
The acoustic mix of "If I Can't Change Your Mind" is really fun, too.
lulu said…
Is the Sugar from my 40@40? God I love that song.
Dale said…
The Darkness is great treadmilling music.
The Darkness don't quite rock (needs opera lessons), but that song kicks enough ass to carry that album, plus another.
Splotchy said…
Love that Gil Scott-Heron song.

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Christmas memories, vol. 20