Music tag from CP

What was the first recorded music you bought?

I'm 40. Like I can remember this. I've bought a lot of music in my day, and I can't even hazard a guess. Knowing my taste in the 70's, it was likely something by Abba, though I liked a bit of 10CC and had my share of Osmond and DeFranco Family albums. I was really, really cool, FYI. I even had dance routines.

What was the last music you bought?
Badly Drawn Boy, Amy Winehouse and I replaced my Weezer album (all electronically)

What was the first "professional" music show you ever went to?
The Carpenters. (They could have been my first purchased music, as well.)

What was the last?
I am such a saddo that I don't remember. I think it was the band I saw on Tom's 40th birthday. They had a chick playing a typewriter. Let me think about this some more and I'll update it later. Unless the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain counts. I saw them a few months ago.

What's your "desert island" album?
I hate these questions because I love music and I have different music for different moods and I would go down with the ship before I'd limit myself to one album until I was rescued by sailors. For purposes of this list I will, however, cut it down to Elvis Costello's Imperial Bedroom, Nanci Griffith's One Fair Summer Evening, Tom Waits Rain Dogs and SCOTS Doublewide and Live. And I'd like to have Dave Brubeck's Take Five handy, too, if it were in easy reach on my way out, not to mention whatever Beck I could grab. And a little Smiths would be good for the inevitable bouts of melancholia as I cursed my fate. And if sailors are doing the rescuing, a little Barry White or Marvin Gaye or Me'Shell N'degeocello might not be bad to have on hand, either. Just saying.

What's your favorite album/song title? (the *title* , not the actual album or song).

More Songs About Buildings and Cows by the Meat Purveyors.

Thank God, because you can never have enough songs about buildings and cows. Talk about filling a market gap.

What's your favourite album art (include an image of it if you can)?


Ideal choice for a karaoke song?
If you're Bill Murray, What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding or More Than This can make the girls swoon. If you're me, Girl from Ipanema or Walking After Midnight or even a little Liz Phair won't get you kicked out of the bar.

Song you don't like that WILL NOT LEAVE YOUR HEAD if you hear it.
Take it in turns...these cycle through my head regularly (though with Barry it isn't because I don't like it).

I've Never Been to Me
(thanks, Larry Aldrich), I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am, Wildfire (FYI, I hate horses almost as much as clowns and swans), Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed, Stand, In the Name of Love, The Twelve Days of Christmas.

Which is cooler? -- Vinyl? CD? Cassette? 8-track?
Vinyl, obviously. Though I think it's actually cooler to say you long for the days of vinyl than it is to actually listen to vinyl these days. I mean, sure, it has that grainy authenticity blah blah blah, but iPods are much more convenient and they don't skip when you dance.

And ditto to CP on the 8-track memory. One of my happiest ever.

Comments

Dale said…
Excellent work on the DeFranco family. As you know, a heartbeat is a lovebeat. Nice desert island grabs too.
Melinda June said…
By the way, Dale, have I told you that I love you? You're dreamy.
Joe said…
Wonderful, wonderful list. Imperial Bedroom is one of my favorite records, and I love your Bill Murray references.
Oh my god you two, get a room.

Thanks for Wildfire. Now it's in my head. I may have to deposit it somewhere.
Roger Kaputnik said…
You used to like Bobby Sherman a lot. I'm guessing that was your first purchase.

Carpenters was about '73 at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis. A very young Steve Martin was the opening act. I thought Mom was going to pass out when he did his "Mind if I smoke?... Mind if I fart?" gag. Oh, the hilarity.
Melinda June said…
Thanks, Bubs. I think IB is the perfect album.

Glad to have passed on an old favourite, CP.

You have a commenting ID, Bob! Yes, I was quite the Bobby Sherman Fan. Though I believe Mom may have put that into my head a bit.

I bet we could still get Mom to pass out if we told that smoke/fart gag. Let's try it over the summer.
Dale said…
Didn't Bobby Sherman records come on the back of cereal boxes for a while there? Yikes.

Dreamy? You're thinking of someone else but I love you back anyway.
Woo hoo Bob! Mad Magazine reference! Doesn't get much better than that!

CP

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Christmas memories, vol. 20