Chevre

I hate goat's cheese. I really, really hate goat's cheese. It tastes like they pee while they're being milked. Nothing good will EVER come of goat's cheese. They should either stop making it or create a health and safety standard that requires all people to label it "Hazardous Waste Alert - Goat's Cheese".

Sheep's cheese, on the other hand, is delicious. Yum.

I've also decided that I can take stinky cheese as long as it doesn't smell like an unwashed body part. But if I start to think I'm near a toilet all bets are off.

Here's an unexpectedly delicious recipe using stinky cheese that does NOT make me worry I need a shower:

Baked Sweet Potatoes with Leeks and Gorgonzola

Things you'll need:
1 Sweet Potato per person
leeks
gorgonzola
olive oil
salt and pepper

Wash the sweet potato/es. Dry them. Anoint them with (olive) oil.
Put them in a pan, sprinkle them with salt and pepper, and bake them at 375/190 for an hourish.
Slice some leeks (your call how many, but remember that leeks are, in fact, delicious). Bung some more olive oil in a pan. Saute the leeks until they soften and start to brown. Stop now.
When the potato/es are done, cut them in half. Put them cut side up in the pan. Cover with sauteed leeks, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Now lay a slice (yes, a SLICE, not crumbles) of Gorgonzola on top, and then slap them under a hot broiler for about 2-3 minutes until that cheese starts a bubbling.

Eat. I like a sauvignon blanc with this, but an Italian white would be just fine, too.

Comments

You're wrong. Chevre is great in a salad with a vinaigrette dressing. Serve with a little piece of toast, and put the goat cheese on the toast. Warm it in the broiler and then serve on top of the salad.
Dale said…
I guess it's over between us. I love the goat's cheese.
lulu said…
I vote for goat cheese as well. YUM!
Melinda June said…
I don't believe you, CP...you can only put so much lipstick on a pig.

Sorry, dale. It's been sweet, but I can never love a man who likes that pasty, pee flavoured crap.

Lu, there is not enough bacon in the world.
Dale said…
It was sweet until you made our love smell that like that. Farewell.

Lulu, I'm making Fettucine with Tomatoes, Bacon, Arugula and Goat Cheese for dinner. Care to join me?
Dale said…
I'm a total whore but I'm reasonably priced.
"Chevre?" Don't you know that is the French getting back at England for the Hundred Years War (amongst other things)?

Besides, goats eat everything under the sun and a few things that have crawled out from under rocks as well.

Pecorino is the cheese. Even Americans haven't figured out how to ruin it.
Melinda June said…
Amen! Chevre: Hard to say, impossible to eat. The nuttysweetdeliciousness of Pecorino cheeses kick its pungent ass.
lulu said…
I love Pecorino, but it smells like dirty socks.
Joe said…
I LOVE goat cheese! But I'm sure you'll appreciate what my youngest daughter said. She is a very un-picky eater, but won't eat goat cheese. She loves feta and some other strong cheeses, but when asked about chevre, she responded:

"It tastes and smells like goats."
Melinda June said…
bubs, your youngest is wise beyond her years.

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Christmas memories, vol. 20