Oops

I'm not so coordinated in the morning. Today, I lost my footing on the steps and went careening headfirst into a wall. I was trying desperately to regain my balance, and had my head tipped back so I hit first with the bottom of my chin, scraping the underside of it and slamming my upper front tooth well into the flesh of my inner bottom lip. In a split second my forehead followed, smacking dead center into the wall with a little nose-slam follow-through to boot.

I don't really have a headache but I look like a unicorn, eating or drinking is painful, and my right knee and my left shoulder sustained some sort of strain, as well. I can move around just fine, though, and while I'm sure I won't feel great tomorrow there is no nausea, forgetfulness or other symptom of concussion so I think I'll live. That said, I had serious trouble buttering my toast...it seemed like a minor depth perception thing. But I figure that since I just wrote a 1500 word paper maybe it was just the lack of coffee.

Comments

Ben-Bob said…
Melinda June! Do I have to get on a plane, fly over there, rent a car, and drive you to A&E? I'm worried about you....
Dale said…
As long as you're not smelling burned toast, you should be okay. That sounds like a whole lot of not fun though. Your housemate didn't push you over some Ugly Betty disagreement I hope.
Mnmom said…
Go to the doctor anyway - concussions are tricky little bastards. How do you KNOW you didn't forget something this afternoon??

I fell on some playground equipment last summer. Had a grotesque swollen, black bruise from my hip to my knee most of the summer. My teenager's response was "You are NOT going to the pool!".
Kireliols said…
One more thing, don't ever stick your knife in the toaster.


I wasn't sure just what kind of trouble you were having with the buttering issue...

Be well! be safe! go see a doc! Maybe he'll turn out to be the UK version of Ben!
Marni said…
Bless your heart! Those steps are awful tricky aren't they?!!!
michaelg said…
Ouch! Just your description makes me ache sympathetically. Ouch!
I concur with fellow bloggers- go see a doctor. (Does this qualify as an Embarrassing Illness? Might we see you on TV? Coming Tuesday: woman falls, thinks she's a unicorn and can't butter toast.)
Seriously, go see a doc. Hope you're feeling less miserable very soon!
Tenacious S said…
I have hit my head so hard that I've seen stars on a couple of occasions and I'm just fine. I think. Careful. Probably was the paper, though. Always blame schoolwork for evil bad things.
Mnmom said…
I dropped a blender carafe on my head once, then felt all mixed up!
Oh, hon! Feel better!!
Melinda June said…
Thanks, all. As you can tell from later posts, I'm now back to my old self.

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Christmas memories, vol. 20