I am totally absorbed in the nitty gritty of finishing my MBA and have been too tired to think of something to say. Thank GOD Some Guy finally gave me a writing task!
TO DO: List 5 things you do, did or like that some may consider “totally lame,” but that you are totally proud of. Tag 5 others:
1. I am a Fanilow. Yes, I love Barry Manilow. I know pretty much all of his classics by heart, and have been known to sing them with reckless abandon in public when I am by myself. I haven't been to a concert yet, but the operative there is "yet." Seriously. Barry Manilow rocks.
2. When I first moved to Seattle, I was exceptionally broke. We had no furniture in my apartment, just giant fake fur pillows my mom had made when we were kids, plus mattresses to sleep on and a desk and chair. Oh. And an old dentist's side table we spray painted and tiled, plus a couple of chairs from Target. The building we lived in didn't have a buzzer, so when people came to visit they stood under our kitchen window and yelled, "Ball Peen Hammer!" up at us, and we'd toss the keys down. (My housemate Sonja came up with the password - she likes her tools and implements.) El Ben and the Bethanizer used to come over all the time, and we would feed them whatever we could make from the groceries we got out of the Safeway coupon book, and we'd drink Henry Weinhard's beers while sprawled all over the floor by candlelight. After a few beers, we would indicate that we were inebriated by placing the bottle caps over our eyes, because they had stars on them and made us look like drunk cartoon people.
3. I went pillow shopping with my friend Susan, and insisted that we lay down on the floor of the department store to test them so we'd be sure we got the best ones. It works, FYI.
4. I love going to Red Lobster. Tom and I go there and pretend we're suburbanites on a big night out...we order appetizers AND dessert because we can, and announce this to the waitress so she understands....Heck, we're at RED LOBSTER! We're gonna CELEBRATE! Of course, we do this because this makes us feel like we're cool urban hipsters, but actually we find excuses to go there.
5. I use all sorts of unfashionable expressions. I say things like cattywampus, kerfuffle, boy howdy, the skunk-eye, hullabaloo, groovy, foxy, dapper, peckish, and jeepers.
I also have ritual hellos, goodbyes and phrases that make no sense to anyone else. They include things like, "Leiderhosen!" (a fond farewell, to which one must reply "German Pants!"), "Yahweh!" (typical response to "no way!"). "You can't really digest corn," (which is used to point out that either a) you've stated the obvious, or b) let it go because it's out of your control), and "Chip?" (which should be said in a monotone drone and is the appropriate way to offer a friend any sort of food.)
I don't know who's been tagged, so I'm picking people some of you don't read, such as No Identifying Characteristics, El Ben, Kirstin, and MnMom. And CP because, well, he's CP.