Two albums all people should buy immediately

I got a bonus this month, and I treated myself to a bit of music. And I have discovered two of the best albums I've found in some time.

1) The Information - Beck

Talk about ass-thumpin' rock and roll. This one has it in spades. It is the culmination of all things Beck. A masterpiece. Every single track is beyond good. Every single one. It starts off with Elevator Music, with a groovy little back beat and a funky little rap remniscent of the fine days of Mellow Gold or Odelay. Moves on to melodic I Think I'm In Love, which has one of the most honest lyrics ever for those of us who are a little heartshy..."I think I'm in love, but it makes me kind of nervous to say so." You get a little dervish jive with Cellphone's Dead. And the hits just keep on coming. My instant favourite was the pressing bass of Nausea, but a few more listens has made it impossible to choose. Beck Hanson is now officially my favourite musician. And I've factored my Elvis Costello fixation and the obsessive crush on Rick Miller and SCOTS into this equation. I heart Beck.

2) Under the Covers, Vol. 1 - Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs

My friend Brad recommended this one to me, and since he's usually spot on with his musical taste I decided to jump in. Good call, Brad. Masquerading as Sid and Susie, these two brilliant minds have created one of the best cover albums ever. And I like my cover albums. Seriously, Matthew and Susanna have somehow managed to create a modern, interesting album of cover songs from 60's. It's not that surprising when you think about it. They both have a retro sense in their music, with solid pop melodies and complex rhythms and harmonies. And now that I listen to this it seems completely natural that they sing these sorts of songs. You swear you're listening to Mr. Wilson himself when Matthew sings Warmth of the Sun. Susanna outdoes the Linda Ronstadt with her version of Different Drum. Their versions of The Kids are Alright, Cinnamon Girl and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere are divine. And Run to Me is a lovely way to end the flashback. In fact, this, too, has not one bad track.

Get thee to iTunes or Tower or some site that we won't mention here for fear of legal action and get to it. You heard me. Go.

Comments

Tenacious S said…
I am so on the Matthew/Susanna CD. I love Matthew Sweet dearly.
Dale said…
Since I love the Beck and enjoy a little Susanna, I'm going with your recommendations and iTuning them in as I type. Happy listening. And if I have to return them, I can just come here right? Cheers.
Kireliols said…
okay- something happened to my comment, it didn't publish so here's my suggestion- check out Regina Spektor- her song, "Fidelity" is pretty darn fun and the video on her site is a treat.
Kirstin
Melinda June said…
TS: What is it about MSweet that makes a girl go weak in the knees?

dale: What did you think? Beth likes the Beck, too, so you know it's got to be good. As to SH and MS, what's not to like about 60's harmonies?

Kirstin: a) glad you commented, as I'd lost your link in my other computer that died. And will check out Regina Spektor. Thanks for the tip.
Moderator said…
"The Kids Are Alright" cover is alright!
Dale said…
I was underwhelmed by the Beck at first but that means nothing, sometimes not loving it immediately is a good thing. The last few songs sounded like they had more spark than the first few but I've only listened through once.

As for the 60's harmonies, you're so right. The whole thing sounds like sweetness throughout, they did a great job.

My niece is always on about Regina Spektor too so I'm going to have to check her out.
Melinda June said…
give Beck time, dale. I really do think this is the best album he's done.

Glad you agree on the MS/SH
Dale said…
Not to worry, I'll give Beck more of my time before long MJ.

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Empathize this