Tagged, v2

This comes from my echotopian tag earlier in the month...I am way too busy in my life and haven't had time to respond yet. But this is definitely something that requires response. One of my favourite subjects...music.

1) Music That Has Changed Your Life:

The University of Northern Iowa has a college radio station called KUNI, and sometime in junior high I was looking for somethingnew on the dial and I found it. They were playing Talking Heads, followed by some Clash, then some Police, followed by a little B-52s. This marked the moment when I transformed from misanthropic geek to alterna-chick extraordinaire. Something about the music they played struck a chord (HA!) in me. It made me see that there was a lot going on out there besides cheerleading and playing that stupid kissing train game that the popular kids played at the parties I wasn't invited to. Before I found it, I'd known I was different...I'd been bossy and opinionated and a bit wacky since birth...but I kept thinking that someday I'd be like other kids. Alternative music told me I didn't have to.

And that's served me very well.

2a) An Album That Has Stayed With You For More Than Ten Years (In a good way):

Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom. It is perfect.

2b) Music you're supposed to like, but you're embarassed to say you never really did:
I only like classical music when I see it live. (Opera excepted.) And I hate early blues. Bessie Smith does my head in. I am awful.

3) Music That Makes You Laugh:

Mojo Nixon (and Skid, of course.) Jonathan Richman. They Might Be Giants.


4) Music That Makes You Cry:

There's a Kathy Matea song called "Where Have You Been" that's a real weeper. In fact, there's a lot of country music that makes me ball like a damn baby. There's are a couple of Nanci Griffith ones that make me cry, too, and there's another one I heard the other day that hit me in the gut but the name escapes me.

I cry easily sometimes.


5) Music You Wish You Had Written:

I wish I were Beck. Such brilliance is enviable beyond explanation.

6) Music You Wish Had Never Been Written:

I'd be happy if Elton John went away. And I don't much care for The Star Spangled Banner, either. And I hate We Are The Champions.


7) Current Music You Like:

Hem, Beck, the Fratellis,Scissors Sisters, Southern Culture on the Skids, Arctic Monkeys, the new Matthew Sweet/Susanna Hoffs album


8) Music You've Been Meaning To Hear:

Muse, Wolf Parade, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, Broken Social Scene, British Sea Power

Comments

echo said…
How could I forget Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper in the music that makes me laugh category? Or the Dead Milkmen for that matter? Or the Dead Milkmen referencing Mojo Nixon in Punk Rock Girl? You're not Mojo Nixon, and your store could use some fixin'!!!!

Nice list, MJ....
Tenacious S said…
How could I have forgotten Mojo Nixon? I am old and forgetful. Very cool list. My I recommend Arcade Fire? It took me a few listens and then one night when Mr. Ten S and I were out at a bar they played the whole thing REALLY loud and I decided that I really like it, but that it sounds best turned way up. I really hope that they improve hearing aids in the next few years. I'm going to need them.
Melinda June said…
Thanks for the tip, TS. Will definitely make them my next download.

By way, I forgot to mention Barnes and Barnes. Fish Heads is great, but Party in My Pants...now THERE'S a classic.

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Empathize this