African Peanut Stew and Billy Bragg

It's been a lazy Sunday. I didn't roll out of bed until 1030. After my entry last night, not only did I get sucked into Along Came Polly, which actually does give PSH a chance to shine after all, but then I also ended up watching The Pianist for the final 35 minutes. I think I was wired from all that sleep and school.

Have spent the day working on my research paper for Marketing and reading the news on the internet. Had a nice Skype chat with Soni. Went to the gym for a training session. cleaned a bit and did some laundry. One of those Sundays that we all need once in awhile to recharge.

Now I'm listening to Billy Bragg (Worker's Playtime, to be specific, the merits of which I've extolled in earlier posts,) while I make African Peanut Stew. I'm pretty relaxed, and I'll be ready to plug in and finish my writing soon.

I love days like this. I've gotten some things done, and I've had time to chill, and I didn't just sit on my can, either. I think I'm going to plan ahead with the schoolwork and head into London. The British Museum is calling, plus I'm betting there's some good art that I haven't had time to see yet. I'm also hot to see Walk the Line, which I didn't get to while I was home.

Just in case you don't know what to have for dinner, here's what I'm having:

African Peanut Stew

2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 medium onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 large sweet potatoes
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes
1 lb ground turkey
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup coconut milk

Slice the onions, mince the garlic, then heat the oil. Put the curry powder in for about a minute, then add the onions. Keep stirring. After about a couple of minutes, add the garlic. Stir around for a minute or so, then add the potatoes, the stock, DRAIN THE TOMATOES, then dump them in, too and chop them up with the spoon. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, add just a drop of oil to a pan and cook the turkey. Add the cayenne and the black pepper and some of the salt. Let sit.

When the 20 - 30 minute simmer is up, add the coconut milk and the turkey to the soup. Dump in the peanut butter and stir until it's all dissolved and mixed in. Let simmer for another 20 minutes and you're set.

I'm having mine with kale, sauteed with a little garlic and then steamed in red wine vinegar, water, salt, pepper, and tabasco until wilted and the stalks are tender.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Empathize this