Sick Day

Stayed home today with the flu. It's not just a possible case now, it's full-blown evil. Chills, throat, head, body aches, the whole thing. I know there've been a few people in the office that have fallen down with this, so I expect that it's just par for the course. The nice thing about England is that you have sick days that are not part of your personal day allotment. Within reason, a normal person can call in sick and not have to worry or take vacation to be out ill. Which means that you actually stay in bed instead of working sick trying to save holiday for real vacation occasions.

Other than the 20 minutes I was up to call in sick and put my out of office message on, I have been asleep most of the last 24 hours. I got up at 5 pm today. Ran to the store for juice and now I'm safely back in bed to try to stay up for a few hours. I had some cod in the fridge that was going to go bad if I didn't use it so I made this:

Zuppa di Baccala

11 oz of salt cod (soaked 24 hours to remove salt) or 1 lb fresh cod/haddock/monkfish, tossed in a good dose of sea salt and kept in fridge overnight then rinsed
1 onion
2 small carrots
2 sticks celery
2 cloves garlic
fresh flat-leaf parsley
evoo
dried chili
2 cans of whole plum tomatoes
1 pint chicken stock
freshly ground pepper
lemon

Coarsely chop all the veggies and parsley, heat some olive oil, and slowly sweat the veggies and the equivalent of one dried red chili (15 minutes or so)

Now add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.

Now add the stock and bring to a boil.

Break up the tomato, then put the fish in there (be sure it's rinsed because it's already going to be salty.) Simmer about 15 minutes, flake the fish, add some cracked black pepper and the juice of 1/2 - 1 lemons (to taste).

Scatter with a bit more of the parsley when you serve.

It's pretty tasty, even with the flu.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Empathize this