My new thing

After the hullabaloo that Lulu made about the Martini vs. the "vodka martini", I decided I should try to pure up my cocktail taste and get used to the classic (gin) martini.

The thing is, I hate gin martinis. I've tried, really, I have. But I don't like the gin/vermouth blend. It's just too much for me. I like the gin/vodka/vermouth fusion, but we've already established that the vodka pollutes the classic M. I'd resigned myself to softening the gin with the brightness of lime or other citrus, and perhaps the metallic fizz of tonic as a balance.

And then I was shopping at M&S the other day and I had a brainstorm. Perhaps the problem with the gin martini was the flavor war between the gin and the vermouth...perhaps I needed another strong flavor to make peace. The answer was there in front of me....COCKTAIL ONIONS!

Sure enough, the verve-y sweetness of the pickled pearl kicks that vermouth into overdrive...shows that gin who's the boss...adds a big bass note to the sharpness of the alcohol.

Yummy. Gibsons for everyone!

Comments

Joe said…
And that, Melinda, is the classic Gibson. Tasty!
lulu said…
I am proud of you Mindy!!!!! Good Girl! The Gibson is a noble cocktail.

Although, to clarify, I never said that the vodka martini was not a worthwhile drink, simply that the default on a martini is gin, not vodka.
I also have tried to like gin martinis. I mean, I have really tried. And I just don't.

It's ok. Really, it is.
Cup said…
I'm a vodka martini girl myself. But if Melinda June can drink a gin martini, I'm gonna drink one, dammit.

(Notice the pretty commas.)
Cup said…
I'm a vodka martini girl myself. But if Melinda June can drink a gin martini, I'm gonna drink one, dammit.

(Notice the pretty commas.)
Dale said…
ThassalottacommasBeth, hic.

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Planning Funerals