Lucky or accurate?

CANCER (June 22-July 22). Self-awareness is high, which will allow you to pinpoint your preferences. Personal development pays off in unforeseen ways. Tonight you could give an impressive performance.

This is my horoscope for the day.

I don't put a lot of stock in horoscopes, but I am a religious reader of them. I mean, just in case they are harbingers of my future, it can't hurt to be prepared, you know? But I am ultimately a bit of a skeptic and feel they're mostly just party tricks like balancing a spoon on your nose or opening beer bottles with your teeth.

And then sometimes you live your day and you read your horoscope at night and you think OOO! That's a little spooky. Today is one of those days.

I just spent the day (830 - 6) at school in an Assessment Centre. It was brutal. Make that BRUTAL. Here is a summary of the day. If any of this sounds easy or uncomplicated, let me assure you it was not. Plus it all just kept coming at you, a seemingly endless list of tasks and self reflection and problems to solve, with people everywhere just WATCHING you.

It started with a two-hour "In Tray" exercise, where we were given a stack of memos for a fake company and we had to do forecasting and communications exercises like we were their new GM. I finished about 1/4 of that exercise due to poor time management and lack of caffeination. (Remember, I do drink caffeine in the morning, usually in copious amounts.)

Quick break for tea, and then we had to take Ability Tests that were measurements of verbal, numeric, and logic. Break.

Into little rooms where you were given ten minutes to prepare a "sell yourself" speech for a group of international managers, and then asked to give a five minute presentation that was videotaped for your review. The facilitator gave us verbal feedback (I was told I did well,) and then it was lunchtime.

20 minutes of sandwich eating. 10 minutes of coffee drinking. Back at it.

One hour of "meeting evaluation"...my group of six were given a business portfolio to skim read, and then we role-played as senior managers who were trying to set strategy. There were evaluators around the room furiously writing notes about our individual interactions in the group. Break.

Upstairs, for a one hour interview to gauge my ability to manage, process, change, and filter information. Break.

Two hours of class time, including an explanation of the written feedback on our performance that comes tomorrow, as well as detailed personality profiles and 360 feedback from our colleagues. (Summary: I'm a leader, a communicator, a charismatic ideas person, but I don't like to complete tasks or mess with details. Oh. And my direct reports and most of my colleagues and managers think I'm great, I judge myself harshly, but not as harshly as one of the three managers that filled out my appraisal. Hmmm)

If my horoscope is correct, this day is going to pay off. Fingers crossed.

Comments

Old Lady said…
Is this a work thing or a shool thing?
Old Lady said…
School, that's school. Time for bed!
lulu said…
Oh dear, it sounds painful I hate roleplaying stuff, I don't really eveb like to do improv games with my drama kids...

I'm sure you kicked ass, but why in the world would you need to go to school to have someone tell you that you are a charismatic people person? Anyone who has known you for five minutes could tell you that.
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it sounds like pure drudgery. I hate having responsibility. I think I'll go back to kindergarten, as a student.
Melinda June said…
It was pure drudgery. But it gave me all sorts of info on how I am perceived in an interview and will help me get a job, I think

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Empathize this