The King likes Sexual harassment Law and other lessons

It's been another busy week at school, hence the light posting for the last few days. These week-long sessions are a bit overwhelming. There is so much to know and so much to think about. And there is lots of stress and usually some awful deadline and it usually means a week of five hours of sleep a night.

We had a finance exam on Friday, scheduled for the mid afternoon. I had about 20 people approach me about moving it to the session that happened at 9AM instead, and though I am not a morning person I started asking around and could not find a single person who thought this was a bad idea. So, being an efficient stream rep, I went with the majority and got it moved. Of course, after I did I found the 10 people who did NOT want it in the AM because they were planning to skip lectures to study. There was a lynching. Being one prone to excessive guilt I felt terrible, as this was the first time I'd not taken a vote on something that seemed so trivial...I mean, if you're not ready at 9AM, realistically you're not going to be ready at 2PM, either. Stupid mistake, one I won't be making again. It seems to have blown over, but when marks come I'm sure I'll take the heat for anything remotely low. I'd offer them my mark instead but I have a feeling they won't be wanting it. Finance and I are not good friends.

By the time the final Saturday rolls around, we're knackered. (Or, for you GEWS FOR GESUS, "Arrrrrrr! We bin learnin' all the week, and now we be tired!) This was compounded by a party we had on Friday night, wherein there was much revelry and excessive drinking. (You can see a video highlight here. It was shot with someone's mobile phone, so the quality is sketchy but you expect that from me after CP's midget-dance. The orchestra leader is my teammate, Kieren.)

I had an early night, with a 2AM departure since my ride to MK was going. I think the final party went down at around 430. We needed help to make it through our lectures.

So we devised a plan wherein we would get as many Elvis song titles into our comments as possible. And as luck would have it, the first lecture of the day was in People Management and the subject was Employment Law, specifically relating to sexual harassment. Start thinking of puns you can play with Elvis songs. There are a lot. In fact, I think the total in the PMAN lecture was around 20, including 6 in one sentence from my teammate, Joe. (I missed this lecture, as my ride back to school decided we didn't want to be there, which was okay by me, actually.)

The day went down from there. No one had prepared properly for the Finance lectures, so we sat like deer in headlights while our lecturer went through the case studies. I had actually understood the pre-reading, but couldn't figure out how to run the numbers in the second case study and I was a bit clueless there, as well. Our lecturer has been a sport about helping people understand things before our test and he knew of our party the night before, so he tried to go easy on us by not putting us on the spot (which he usually does.) I felt bad that no one was volunteering. Unfortunately, I didn't know the answers so I couldn't really help out.

During the Strategic Management lecture it was day two of presentations, and since my team had done ours on Friday I was able to relax a bit and catch up on email. I giggled a bit during my friend Nadine's presentation...she was covering a company with a name that escapes me but that she shortened to "BM." When you haven't had a lot of sleep, it's easy to turn into an 8 year old and find someone saying "BM" over and over amusing. I wish I were more of an adult, but I'm not.

So finally it was 5:20. We were down to one hour left. It was time for Supply Chain Management, which I have taken to calling Trucking and Shipping because so far we've pretty much focused on distribution channels and I hate it. We had a new lecturer who had one of those accents that amuses me. He kept talking about "Eu-wop". And then someone made a comment that included the phrase "Turning Japanese." Which was followed by a comment that included the phrase "Eye of the Tiger," and another that including "Living in America." The next hour was a cavalcade of covert song puns, all made with relative relevance to the lecture going on. There were Elvis songs. There were 80's songs. There was much talk about Teddy Bear manufacturers and how something that is Big in Japan may not go over well with the Kids in America. Every time someone raised their hand, you could see people brace themselves so they wouldn't burst out with full-on laughter. That poor lecturer must have thought we were nuts.

Finally at 630 it was over. I jumped in the car, headed home and was on the sofa watching Pride and Prejudice (the definitive CF version) by 8pm. Have spent today catching up on blogs, practicing my Pirate, finishing P&P and napping. I have a written analysis of case to do on India for Macroeconomics by October 6th, a presentation for Managing Information Technologies and another WAC for Trucking and Shipping by the 20th, and a few team projects being led by others to review in the next few weeks. I just keep telling myself that this is fun. And that next time I'll find a way to slip Come on, Eileen into a comment in class.

Comments

lulu said…
I managed to watch about a minute af the video before my migraine started reappearing.......looks entertaining though.
echo said…
Arrrggghh!! Too much learning and not enough tippin' the grog if'n ye ask this ol' salty dog!
Melinda June said…
Lu - sorry for inducing a migraine with the ridiculously poor quality of the video

echo - Yarrrrr, me harty. Ye be truthful on that.
What the hell were you guys doing?

I had to search your blog for "Kieran" to remember which one he was. He's the good one who doesn't say wildly inappropriate sex things all the time.
lulu said…
The scary thing is, I know tht song, or at least I have heard it before.

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Executive MBA 2006-07 Director's Prize