1. I am watching Friday Night with Jonathan Ross and he's interviewing Sarah Brightman. She refuses to sit on the couch and is perched instead on the arm of the sofa. It looks ridiculous. I think it's because of her giant shoes. She's wearing four-inch platform sandals. She as a very posh accent and acts as though she's regal. I say a woman who made a name for herself in Cats shouldn't be so hoity toity.
2. Tonight I was at the gym and was doing an ab exercise where I lay on my back, extend my legs into the air and then, holding a 4kg ball in my hands, extend my arms and touch my toes. I was gassy. About 5 reps in, all hell broke loose. There were people walking past me on their way out of a spin class. I was very embarrassed, but since I was a sweaty red mess by then I don't think I blushed noticeably. I'm hoping they thought it was the guy next to me.
3. Ransom pictures of the kidnapped Oscars have included a hostage photo tied to a tree, Barbie giving him a polishing, an escape attempt at a local bowling alley at last night's social club event, and word has it that one of them has now been taken to Malta in carry on luggage. Meanwhile, lesser trophies have been released, most recently in the compartments of the food vending machine in the lunchroom.
4. Made moules meuniere for dinner. Ate it with crusty bread and a crispy salad. It was delicious.
5. Found a website where, if I really wanted it, I could pay £6.40 for a box of Captain Crunch, £4.66 for a jar of Jif, and £18.71 for a box of tide. Think I'll wait until I come home. Though they do sell Vlasic pickles. Not perfect, but at least they're not sweet.
6. For the first week in many, I have made it through an entire issue of the Economist before the next one arrives tomorrow AM.
7. Dirty Dancing is the greatest movie of all time. Okay. Maybe not. But is there a more poignant tale of earnest liberal virgin meeting hood from the wrong side of the tracks with a heart of gold, who then fall in love against everyone's wishes and dance like there's no tomorrow? I think not. Unless maybe it's Footloose, except that preacher's kid wasn't a virgin. Or Pretty In Some Kind of Wonderful Pink, though there may not have been dancing in that. There was dancing in Strictly Ballroom, though... neither of them are hoods, but it has a good soundtrack and that Paul Mercurio is oddly compelling. Scratch what I said about Dirty Dancing. Maybe it's in the top ten greatest dance-related movies of the last 20 years. But it still made for a good Friday night.
8. Jack Black is king. Jack Black should be a guest mentor on American Idol next season. Jack Black is perfect. Jack Black IS better than Sanjaya. Jack Black is better looking than Seal.
9. Today, the swan was floating on the still pond in a moment of tranquil beauty, and just for a second I thought it was beautiful. Just for a second.