We Dance like Wham

After stumbling upon the Top 10 Irish Artists at Ten the other night, I added VH1 classic to my favourites on my quick scan. I've taken to stopping regularly for shows like "The 80's at Eight" and "The Nineties at Nine." It's a sick and horrid fascination, really. I can't get enough of the shoulder pads and the big hair, not to mention that groovy synth keyboard and drum machine. It's actually been a bit of an insight into my aging soul. Tonight alone, I have come to the following realisations:

1) It's in the title....we dance like Wham!. We don't want to, but we do. Mind you, they weren't always the "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" boppers...just saw the "Young Guns" video, and they did a bit of thrashing in that one. But they're still not cool. Dancing like Wham! is not something we want to do. Better than spinning like Deadhead chicks, but still. Time to learn some new steps.
2) The Pet Shop Boys sucked. And I think that when you thought it was a woman singing, "Since you've been away, I've been hanging around...." was just one of them dressed up like a woman and singing falsetto.
3) Fame was a stupid movie.
4) That A-Ha video for "Take on Me" is oddly compelling even though the song isn't.
5) Adam Ant was a total ponce.
6) If the sound was off on your TV, how long would you have to watch Coldplay before you knew it was them? How about Guns and Roses?
7) This whole British fascination with bad remakes of songs that should never have been made in the first place is not a new thing.
8) Duran Duran was not dorky in 1982. I wonder what happened?
9) David Byrne is one wacky-looking dude.
10) The Red Hot Chili Peppers are seriously foxy. Every last one of them.

Comments

lulu said…
I don't dance like Wham, but that's only because I spent a fair amount of time at punk shows where the preferred mode of dancing was vertical.
Melinda June said…
See, I can't bounce anymore. That, and I learned to do that kicky shimmy thing that the kids do in "The Breakfast Club" and somehow I froze in time. I suck.

I wish I were cooler, but, alas, I am not.
lulu said…
well, there is always Schottishing
Melinda June said…
I'm a mean schottish, I tell you what. I can do two or four man with reverse AND spin.
But never forget - as a Schottische instructor, I am without peer.
Tenacious S said…
Have you ever seen the Chili Peppers perform in tube socks? That was a treat. They also rock and look foxy in day-glo body paint. They are not my favorite band, but I have seen them live at least four times. I truly respect Flea's talent both for play the bass and for rocking the tighty whities.
Melinda June said…
I have not. But it's on the list.

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Christmas memories, vol. 20