All Hail the UKE!



On Wednesday night, I went to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain with my friends Nadine and Talisha. They were playing at a restaurant/bar/club called Spitz in Old Spitalfields Market. The women on my team had given me two tickets for the show, and I was able to recruit a third to join me.

How, you may be asking, did you convince two people (bright, talented MBA students even) to accompany you to such an odd event? It sounds like a real sleeper, Mindy. I mean, how much George Formby can a person take?

Oh ye of little taste.

The show was positively brilliant. I've seen them twice now, and both times they ROCK THE HOUSE.

They took the stage around 8:30. They walked into the room in black-tie attire, carrying their array of ukes with them as they came. They started with a bit of a folksy 20's style tune, moved into a nice bolero, and then transitioned to more traditional folk tunes, such as Shaft and Anarchy in the UK. They played Psycho Killer. Teenage Dirtbag (which is one of the best pop songs ever, by the way). Some Nirvana. Some Aretha. Some fascinating nine-way rounds and some David Bowie. It was absolutely perfect.

And, true to form, the guy playing the bass uke was a stone cold fox who plucked out some complex rhythms and tossed a few flirtatious looks at his adoring fans. Even Talisha and Nadine agreed...it isn't just me and my bass player thing.

One of the best birthday gifts EVER! You are so going to see them with me if you're in town and they're playing. Trust me.

Comments

I would pay to hear them cover "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails.
michaelg said…
I have to say I was a doubter until I played the second video. No...that sounds like... wait...huh...god no...can it be...smells like teen spirit??? DAZZLING!
Dale said…
Yeah but can they do 'Tiptoe Through The Tulips'? Pretty awesome actually.
Marni said…
That is awesome! I would love to see them live... I really enjoy music like that...
Pam said…
Oh. My. God.

I am SO jealous.
Melinda June said…
WP, I bet they could do it.

MG, when you and Curt come visit it will DEFINITELY be on the list.

Pam, I guarantee we can catch them on your next visit this way. They play all the time in London. They even do MASTERCLASSES!

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Christmas memories, vol. 20