Anger

Normally, I don't get all that upset about celebrity deaths. I'm sad for a moment, but then I move on. I mean, I don't know them. I don't know if they were nice or not, if they were smart and funny and kind or any of the other stuff that makes me like a person.

And though the news of Heath Ledger's death made me sad, it wasn't any different than any other tragic death of someone in their 20's. Sure, there's that creepy Mary-Kate Olson link to make it a bit more sordid, but that makes me say "EW!" and so I'm ignoring it. Not to be crass, but we've managed without River Phoenix, we can make it through this, too.

What makes this death upsetting for me is the mean-spirited evil it's brought out in the homo-phobic conservative movement. Chris talks about that mummified asshole John Gibson's bad jokes here. CP talks about those lunatic picketers here. And if you spend any amount of time reading about his death, you find someone claiming that he was struck down by a righteous God because he played a gay man in Brokeback Mountain. It boggles the mind that people could be so stupid and hateful. I mean, seriously. How small minded and mean must you be?

So God leaves evil terrorists killing thousands alone, but hunts down an actor who once portrayed a gay man and forces an overdose? Well, watch out Tom Hanks, not to mention Eric McCormack. Sean Hayes and Nathan Lane, you've got a double whammy because you ARE gay...so run for the hills. Does God's wrath extend to lesbians? If so, the producers of The L Word had better up their security budget.

This whole thing sickens me. SICKENS. ME. Get some priorities, God.

Comments

Mnmom said…
Well said
Joe said…
Lesbians don't have to worry because God thinks they're hawt.
Melinda June said…
Typical male, that Heavenly Father. Sigh. Perhaps I can save my own soul by wearing a french maid's costume.

I'm hoping you're right, MG. And that karma has some seriously big boots for kicking their asses.
I don't even know what to say about Phelps. Hateful? Seems trite. Crazy? Well of course. Pure evil? Yeah, I suppose.

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Christmas memories, vol. 20