Not dead yet

Hi all.

Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving. I apologize for my long absence. I've had a big month, and now I'm home in MSP for the holidays. I'm currently in a Dunn Bros enjoying a delicious cappucino and listening to two handsome gentlemen discussing baptism. (What it means, is it necessary, what does Jesus say, etc.) Straight ahead of me on the coffee shop computer is a really bad transvestite with piercings in his/her nose and lower lip. Ah, diversity, thy name is America. (Happy Sigh)

We're going with the numbering system to get caught up, then I'll start fresh tomorrow.

1) Flew to NYC. Tom picked me up at JFK. We had a joyous reunion in a parking lot, and then headed back to Brooklyn. Stopped for a late-night dinner at Nathan's Famous in Coney Island.
2) Had dimsum in Chinatown on Thanksgiving AM. We sat at a table of eight with six Chinese youth. They laughed at Tom's Chinese, but we got what we wanted so it couldn't have been that bad.
3) George made a delicious dinner, which the three of us shared with their friends Imran and Emory, who are perfect. We had a delightful day, and drank some delicious wine...my personal favourite was the Amarone.
4) Friday and Saturday we just spent time together. We saw Avenue Q and Wicked, both EXCELLENT. We met my friend Blane for drinks after he got out of work on Friday and went to the village for sushi. Sat in Blane's favourite bar and drank a bit, then went to Marie's Crisis for showtunes. It's amazing how someone you've known your whole life can be absent for years, and then you see them and you somehow fit like you've never been away.
5) Flew home Sunday.
6) Filled out an application for an Executive MBA programme at Cranfield University. Submitted it online on 30 November.
7) 1 December they called me to schedule an interview on 9 December. Yikes
8) Made it through my jetlag in time to pick my friend Bethany up at the airport the following Sunday. We had two weeks of fun touring around. I love Bethany.
9) Studied for the Cranfield Tests (to replace the GMAT that I didn't have time to take.)
10) Interviewed for an entire day on Friday the 9th.
11) Crammed in one last proposal the following week, as I only worked Monday and Tuesday.
12) Wednesday, I called for my admissions results. I got in...I start my part-time EMBA on 12 January!
13) Elated, I continued into London to spend the day at the immigration office. I can now stay in the UK for five years, which is good as I've committed to three now due to grad school. (Two years of school, one additional contract year to my employer.)
14) Realised I will officially be in the UK for the entire GWB second term. I wonder if that makes me an exile?
15) Thursday I met my friend Pam at Heathrow for lunch, as she was on her way to Austria for the winter.
16) Friday Bethany and I flew to the US. Spent five hours in delay at O'Hare. (Pleh.)
17) Saturday I got my hair cut in a sassy little two-toned bob. Soni and Anne came to see me at the salon, and we felt like our own white-girl version of Barbershop. Went to the best supper club ever for dinner with KB&D for dinner.
18) Sunday I hung out with my brother and his family. I brought funky ketchup from the UK (Curry and Chili flavours), and we ate them on tater tots.
19) On Monday I had lunch with my friend Lisa Starr. We went shopping (found some great cashmere sweaters, a necessary add in this HORRIBLE weather,) and we defaced a Frango gift basket at Dayton's (Marshall Fields/Macy's) to get the mixed box out because they had no more on the shelf. We would have left well enough alone, but the clerk was snotty in a "sucks for you" way when she realised they were sold out of the single item versions of this product, so we thought we'd show her what for. Turns out you can't buy them singley, so we had to settle for just raspberry.
20) Tuesday I spent the day with my friend KC. We went to my godson's Christmas pagent at preschool. They did great gestures whilst singing Rudolph. Had dinner with Tim and Kelli at their house and I stayed too long. I forget that I'm not working but others are.
21) Wednesday I had lunch with my friend Mark Banker and said hi to my BI friends, came to this coffee shop, and will be having dinner with Kim and Abby at my favourite Thai place.
22) The hectic schedule goes on. More observations and info soon.

I'm really happy to be home. I was homesick, and now I'm surrounded by way lots of people who love me (and I love them back.)

Favourite food since I arrived: Pickles!
Favourite drink: Dirty Martini at Mancini's
Favourite sight: the dirty old Ford on Hiawatha, whose 12 bumper stickers told me he was a liberal Christian vegan. God Bless the USA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways other than Paul Blart and lipstick to combat economic depression

Empathize this